TNL STRATEGIC THRUSTS, 1996-2000
- Acquisition and preservation of all Filipiniana materials through purchases, gifts,
donations and exchanges, and incorporation of an imaging system within the library package
to scan and store priceless historical documents so that users will have easy access to them
via computer terminals.
- Provision of current and retropective national bibliographic services by improving the
coverage of the Philippine National Bibliography, making operational the Philippine National
Union Catalog System and preparing the Thesaurus of Philippine Subject Headings, Authority File
Systems for Personal Names and Corporate Bodies, Cataloguing-in-Publication records, and special
bibliographies, guides and indexes.
- Establishment, development and maintenance of public libraries system and information
centers in cooperation with local government units throughout the country by planning for a
computerized union catalog of the holdings of city and provincial libraries, organizing the
Friends of Public Library/Foundation to contribute/encourage interest for and augment the
meagre resources of public libraries and a resource sharing program through the National
Library Information Network.
- Provisions of information, reference and research resources to the public by providing
a shorter turnaround for documents delivery to researchers, making available a continuing
orientation program to users using a computerized graphics presentation featuring a
computer-assisted intruction orientation, and full implementation of the ISBN and ISSN
- Promotion, formulation and maintenance of national standards in library and information
services in accordance with international norms and standards.